link href='http://brainsandchatterboxfonts.webs.com/blogger-sifr.js' media='all' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'/>

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Maryland fun

Well these pictures are mostly out of chronological order in the blog, but I have a few pictures my family has been waiting to see so...

I was the lucky one who got to drive the UHaul from Boston to Baltimore, it wasn't too horrible. Brand and I had a good walkie-talkie system where if I needed to change lanes and couldn't cause (I was a huge bus with little side mirrors to see behind me, and the highways by New York are super squishy filled with lots of other big trucks- why we didn't go around New York, I'm not sure...) well I'd walkie-talkie Brandon and he'd get behind me then change lanes and then slow down so I could get over.  We were a good team.  Then we got to the tiny streets where we live in downtown Baltimore, we barely got the UHaul down some of them but we obviously made it.
I wish I would have pulled out the camera when we got here but we were tired from driving cross country and packing up in Boston so we just started unloading and unloading, (Thank you again and again for your help Cole!) and we couldn't get our box springs up the stairs.  Really, three smart, strongish AND creative people and there really was no way to get it up.  So Brandon took out the hammer and started smashing it...literally.  Thinking back, we probably could have been more selective in what exactly we smashed.  Well, we did finally get it upstairs to our apartment, sadly it came up in pieces... this was the most in tact part.
So, we headed to Home Depot and bought a saw, and some wood (that someone didn't think we needed to measure), and nails and set up shop.  The sawing took place on the bathroom tile and the pounding parts together took place in our room.
This was scarily what we began doing.  Lovely huh?  Lucky for us it hasn't caved in on us and the creaking of new wood has quieted a bit. I swear we are more handy than that.
This is more of the fun... As we are putting together box springs, unpacking, and organizing this is how warm it is in our apartment... 87!!!  And we tried fans blowing on us, windows open, fans sucking our hot air in and blowing out the window, 87 degrees.
at midnight!!!  Way too hot!  for midnight!  or anytime when unpacking.
Well, yahoo for being done with that fun part of our adventure.  Now we try to wake up as ourselves and not as human popsicles.  

Next time we move I think we'll end up needing a new box springs, I don't think that it will live through another take-apart and put-back-together.

5 comments:

Brett said...

Dani! Hey! I saw this linked on Brittney Quilter's page. This is Ashley (formerly Seeley)...I think I'm loggeg in as my hubby though. Anyway, are you living in Baltimore now? I served my mission there. You'll have to give me the scoop on where you're at and what you are doing. Our blog's private, but send me an email to ashley.israelsen @ gmail.com and I'll get you on. I'm glad I found your blog. It's nice too se what you've been up to! :)

ClaysJenna said...

Danielle...you guys crack me up i LOVE your guys' make shift boxspring you crack me up!!

Kathie said...

I am so impressed. I didn't dare drive our moving truck. I think you are incredible!
I am glad you started a blog. And yes we should get together soon and play.

Danielle said...

Kathie,
I'm not that fantastic of a driver, but I've driven some old big farm trucks and Brandon's driving time in the last 6 years was only a few hours. After high school he went to Boston for school without a car, then to Russia on his mission without a car, and then back to MIT without a car. So he only drove when he was home for the holidays. :)

Holly Janeen said...

man- the 'fun' of moving, eh?

well i guess this answers my fifty questions of where the heck do you actually live!

you two are so resourceful :)